Friday, February 10, 2006

Olympic Games - Love, Hate & Hairstyles


Yay Olympics!

I know it's cheesy and trite, but I do love a good Olympics. I'm a fan of the winter games and have been since way back when - after the '76 games I was the first girl in the neighborhood to cut her hair exactly like Dorothy Hamill's. Good times, good times.

I like the fact that the Olympics stand for self-discipline, dedication to a sport, the push for excellence, and good sportmanship.

I hate the American news coverage, which focuses on the teeny tangential personal lives of the athletes far too much for my taste - let's see the agony of defeat, right when it happens.

Spare the sob stories and show the meaty throes of athletic combat. Sure, athletes are people too, and of course they have enormously [yawn] interestingly deep inner lives we'd just love to plunder but...please, for the sake of the thrill of the finish line I'll be willing to forego watching the personal angst.

I've seen European coverage of the Olympics and the focus is entirely different. It's just the sports, period - not a lot of commentary and zip zero zilch backstory about any of the participants. Pure, clean - a lot like that Italian snow they are being forced to make (thanks global warming - we can always count on your excellent timing).

Hosting the Olympics? Prepare to fall into a dark abyss of bankruptcy. It's absurd, truly, how so many cities make such an enormous godawful push for the privilege of careening directly into hell (New York, I'm looking right at you).

But hey - in the end I'll cheer - I always do. I'll zone out during the psuedo-poignant bits - I always do.

This time I swear I won't change my hairstyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home