Wednesday, November 15, 2006

New York City Haiku-Shopping


I must preface my New York shopping haikus with a little explanation: it is widely regarded as fact that New York is one of the world's great shopping meccas; it is, to be sure, but it can also be one of the most frustrating places in the world to shop. The profusion of goods can easily overwhelm one; while there is more cachet in discovering the perfect jacket or pair of shoes in a tiny out-of-the-way boutique, finding the place to begin with is never that easy, and finding the quality item one is searching for at bargain prices constitutes a full time job. Practicality and proximity often trump variables of price with convenience winning the hand. The average New York shopper has little time for shopping and in my case little patience. Having said that, I have over the years found various places which stock Swedish chewing tobacco or antique watches or obscure French cheeses or Moroccan wrought iron garden tables. Not that I stumbled onto to any of these shops by turning a random corner or anything so romantic and delightful - it was more the result of research and applying shoe leather to pavement. On to the haiku!

Prowling discount store.
Suit with skirt - too much to ask?
Sigh. Not in my size.

I do like jewelry;
Great selection, good prices.
I am without cash.

Shoes, shoes, everywhere!
I buy them in brown and black.
Cause for rejoicing.

To The Strand for books.
Longing to own each volume,
I wander for hours.

Hate hate hate R train!
Long wait with shopping bags, but
Route is close to home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miliana said...

Stoic-
Of course, since you know The Strand, you also know I allow myself only rare visits, or the shelves chez nous would be even more bulging than they already are, and I deeper into the poorhouse than I already am. Sigh.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home