Thursday, November 09, 2006

In Which Our Heroine Remembers A Celebrity Sighting


I was saddened to hear today of Ed Bradley's death. I always thought he was a class act for a journalist, and even have a mini-tale to tell of him.

It was probably the mid-80's, definitely around Christmas time; the weather was quite cold but not snowy. I was walking up Fifth Avenue right near Rockefeller Center in the middle of the day. I don't know why I would have been anywhere near such a tourist-infested stretch of Manhattan a few days before Christmas, but I did work fairly close to the Rock then, or perhaps I was there deliberately searching for a one-of-a-kind holiday gift.

Among the oblivious swarms of passersby heading past me downtown I noticed a tall good looking black man in a drop dead gorgeous fur coat. My attention was initially riveted on the beautiful coat, but as I looked up into the man's face I realized it was Ed Bradley - complete with his signature diamond earring. I must have had a startled expression of recognition on my face, and as his eyes met mine, he nodded briefly and gave me a small smile.

It was such a quintessentially New Yorker spies celebrity moment that it not only gave me a mild mood lift the rest of the afternoon but was something I've never forgotten.

Remembering that incident and writing about it pings a twinge of nostalgia in my heart - for a time 20 years ago when I was a bit more innocent, and for a time when a handsome black man could walk down the street wearing fur unironically.

Requiescat in pace, Mr. Bradley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miliana said...

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your words, oh Stoic?

I'm not saying that rubes naturally gawk at the celebs and stuff; at the time I had my mini-moment with Ed Bradley there were other people all over the street.

It's just that New Yorkers tend to see the rich and famous more often than those in other cities; sometimes, depending upon one's circle, they are all around. Yet the epitome of "cool" is that we don't really acknowledge them. The barest response is the only one we allow ourselves. Anything else would be hopelessly declasse. Weird but true.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home