Friday, October 28, 2005

Ou est les toilettes?

What are the most important phrases to learn in a foreign language? My pick for the ultimate is "where is the bathroom?". It's absolutely indispenable, for many reasons.

As a traveler, knowing how to get into the bathroom will not only consume you but, if you cannot properly communicate your need, will rapidly become your raison d'etre in no time flat. Most especially if you are drinking the local water.

Americans tend to take for granted their lovable western toilet. It's everywhere - from the most exclusive hotel to the lowliest & crappiest gas station it's still there, the silhoutte they know and appreciate.

One step into the Third World blows your conception of toilets all to hell. On my first trip in Morocco, we rode the bus [first class bus, for those who are keeping track] from Casablanca to Agadir - 9 hours of overland fun. It actually is a wonderful way to see and experience the country - the view of the county is definitely up close and intensely personal, as well as being very cost efficient.

At one of the rest stops, we alighted in a small roadside town with a marketplace and restaurant area. I gratefully left the bus to join the family in the selection and cooking of freshly slaughtered lamb, delicious by the way, served with the ubiquitous Moroccan mint tea. A better meal doesn't exist.

At the end of the meal, Mr. Fresh Hell pointed me in the direction of the toilets, clearly marked with a W.C. [water closet, for non-British.] I sailed forth with great confidence and was confronted with a classic "Turkish" toilet, i.e. a hole in the ground surrounded with a porcelain base embedded with footprints. No toilet paper to be had, but I had a bucket and a tap.

I can't record my facial expression upon exiting - I do know Mr. Fresh Hell was falling off his chair laughing, knowing I had essentially peed on my shoes and pant legs.

That was my first introduction to the alternate toilet. Needless to say, I got much better with further acquaintance and am extrmely proud to say that not only can I handle these toilets, I can do it while drunk and wearing high heels [the trick, which I'll give for free, is to roll up your pant legs].

Two things: don't forget your coin for the bathroom attendant [they take this very seriously], and tuck a small spare roll of toilet paper in your purse- just in case you find yourself in a section of Fresh Hell.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would explain why so many American travelers wear an expression of pained preoccupation.

My own candidate for essential language tip? "Un verre de vin blanc, SVP."

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home