Friday, October 21, 2005

What have we gotten ourselves into now? Yes, indeedy, without a smidgin of resistance it's a batch of fresh hell.

In the Valerie Plame Affair, and its attendant relevations - from blogs on the left side of political discourse there is quite a bit of exultation thanks to the sparkling possibility of a merry Fitzmas [tm some other great blogger who I would credit if I could only remember] - on the right side of the divide there's a lot of hemming and hawing and wondering if the recent scandals affecting the current Administration really are, well, affecting it.

To which I must say: really? Ya think? (We'll all see of course in the days/weeks/months to come but in the meantime it serves as an excellent rhetorical question).

The situation, as I see it, is there are a lot of our citizenry who view themselves are primarily one thing or another: they are avowed Democrats, encompassing liberals, progressives, etc; or die hard Republicans, conservatives, etc. It's the folks in the middle ground, those with liberal social thoughts and conservative fiscal values, that tend to get lost in the debate. Why? Are we truly able to see both sides of the story or merely wishy washy need to grow a backbone types?

And why is belonging so damned important these days?

How do we determine identity? It seems as if it's become primarily a political label, i.e. the person I am is the political party I espouse.

Am I a libertarian? Sometimes I think it would be handy to label myself as such and just get on with it. Granted, most of the libertarian stuff I see wouldn't launch any ships at all. On the other hand, why not just live and let live? NB: I don't %100 believe in that philosophy, but it would be dandy to do so - where is John Stuart Mill when you need him most?

Come to think of it - where is a cogent political philosophy when you need it most? I'm sure there are folks out there that will disagree, and I challenge them. Let's discuss the Fresh Hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home