Tuesday, June 06, 2006

During Which Our Heroine Fails to Note The Obvious


When I was younger I thought I was a fair judge of popular culture - the things that I thought were fairly cool also popped up on others' radar.

But there are three distinct times in my past where I have proven myself to be the most Rock Stupid Prognosticator on the planet. None of this has been made up and I hope I haven't even spared myself any skewering.

Picture It: University of Utah, August 1980

Scenario: Through family connections I was working as an intern/gofer/driver for a week at the Womens' Games, a good-sized tournament on the womens' tennis circuit, being held at the University of Utah. I had a great time driving players around, picking up tennis rackets at the airport, acting like a very important production assistant and snarfing up leftover appetizers in assorted hospitality suites. While there was short and grudging coverage by the sports desks of the major networks (scoff - womens' sports? - remember, this was '80), a brash new upstart, someone no one had even heard of, was there operating out of a RV transformed into a mini-studio, broadcasting all the games. Yes, that was ESPN, brand spanking new with barely a dime to rub together. During the course of the week, I got to know the ESPN guys well - to the point where their producer offered me a job as an assistant producer. I turned them down.

My Internal Dialogue: Nah, this will never fly. Who's going to want to watch a network that broadcasts nothing but sports? These guys will go broke in a year.

Picture It: Salt Lake City, some time in 1991.

Scenario: While a college student, I had met guy in his late 20's whom I was rather casually and sporadically dating. At the time he was working with Robert Redford at Sundance (then a small ski resort nestled in a sleepy Utah canyon), putting together the Sundance Film Institute - if I recall correctly, they were discussing the possibility of introducing a yearly film festival. The guy was sort of dull and more than a little "meh" so I dropped him after three months.

My Internal Dialogue: Maybe I should stay friends with this nice but not-for-me- guy, as he does know famous people, which might come in handy. But do that on the off-chance that anybody will ever go to Sundance (in Utah - blech!) to see films? As if that will ever happen!! No way! Good luck with that project, Guy!

Picture It: Early 1977

Scenario: I was at the movies with my siblings preparing to view some unforgettable, likely unwatchable and badly acted tripe. Up on the big screen scrolled a flashy trailer for a movie that would be opening in the summer. That movie was Star Wars. I turned to my sister and said "It looks dumb - I don't think I'll see that. I'll bet no one does."

My Internal Dialogue: Seriously - who's going to line up to see this? It's a Western in space. It will close in a week. Fruity.

So I'm conclusively a pretty poor judge at predicting what the general public will find shiny and irresistible.

But I can leave you with some tremendous advice - if I think something is stupid, it will likely make millions.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaz said...

Delightfull post!!

Wouldn't it be great if we had some precognitive talent? Wonder tho', if you started betting against yourself and your feelings about what will work and what won't, if that imp of the perverse would do a total about face just to mess you up.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Miliana said...

Ilonas: true, my liking of your film should spell doom for its future, but...so many others have chimed in about its chocolatey goodness that those opinions counterbalance mine.

Stoic-you've not been lightyears close to a new trend. Admit it. Although how are you to know that the Forrest Gump movie is hands down one I hate with the heat of a thousand suns and that I am currently trembling with indignation over your comparison? Harumph.

Kaz- I would have loved true precognition, but was standing behind the door when it was handed out.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home