Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hippies, Partially Explained


Hippies.

I know, hippies! Seriously. Is hippiedom still considered an alternative lifestyle? Does anyone think about them anymore? Perhaps they exist somewhere on communes in the middle of rural nowhere, solidly butressed against the present by their persistent adherence to the past.

I must confess. I grew up as a psuedo hippie. In the early 70's, my newly divorced mother flirted with the counterculture. Since she was far too repressed to do anything but dabble, and then vaguely, she espoused hippies.

For me and my siblings, as kids, what did we know? We knew jack shit about politics, and didn't understand the underpinnings of any of the causes we learned about - but the outings were fun, the crafts were compelling, and the music was bouncy.

In my mother's defence, she was likely waging a private personality war with the uptight 50's mentality with which she'd been raised and the strictures of her Depression-era parents.

During the 60's, the responsibilities of a [too] young mother raising four small children didn't allow her much Flower Power. My father remained traditional, although ironically all it took was one tiny footstep into the 70's and he had grown longer hair and a moustache, and was wearing wildly colored paisley patterned polyster shirts. [Go ahead, cringe. This was high fashion, people! Does no one remember bellbottoms? Pretty soon I'll be yelling at the neighbor kids, "Get offa my lawn!" Sigh.]

With the dawning of the Me Decade, however, I suspect my mother felt justified in finally having the freedom to "do her own thing". I've put quotes around that now, but back in the day it didn't need any to make its point.

We didn't live on a commune, weren't given outlandish names or wear tie-dye, and were only very peripherally, discreetly exposed to a soft drug scene, but...rock bands often practiced in our living room at nighttime, we went to communes [to visit my aunt just for the day, try not get too dirty], and my mother introduced us to early vegetarian cuisine.

You can thank me now for eating what you'll never have to. Lord, how tasteless 70's soy burgers were! Vegetarian food in its infancy lurched backwards to a psuedo-romantic "back to the land" philosophy often involving intense application of rough peasant flours, which when baked into lumpen cakes or cookies were tough enough to crack a tooth. Mainstream consumption wasn't geared to being health conscious, so the products or recipes on hand weren't rules, per se, but more guidelines.

Freshly blended carrot juice is vile, no matter how the modern smoothie gets spun. I will admit that I liked the homemade granola, but the rest of it - ppfftt! I rapidly became a rabid carnivore as a result of this force feeding, and, while my food sense has improved immensely, still find a secretive glee in selected preservative-laden snacks.

It didn't help that my mother was an indifferent cook at best, and has only improved in recent years because she uses Mr. Fresh Hell's recipes.

My childhood hippie experiences, when seen against the backdrop of the uber techno-googleness of 2006, seem awfully quaint. It was spending hours sitting cross-legged on the floor listening to some guy with waist-length hair strumming a guitar, or discovering strange herbal mixtures deep within the musty confines of a health food store. It was a throwback to the days of making your own candles, creating original batik designs for a sofa throw, or a macrame plant hanger.

I've heard persistent rumors that soy burgers aren't nearly as tasteless as they used to be. Doesn't matter, as I'll continue use them as doorstops.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaz said...

A truly fun piece, which resurrected a few personal memories. Could one of the reasons my ex IS my ex be because he got onto a fresh carrot juice kick but always left that damned machine for me to clean????

You're 'get offa my law' remark gave me a belly laugh and two distinct memories. The first was wandering the Village around Washington Park on a weekend when all the suburbanites came into the city, and hearing these neat and spiffy preppy types say "and we have to live out there where they have REAL lawns and shit?"

The second was attending a funeral for a family member and catching myself saying to a much younger cousin "I remember you when you weren't much bigger than..." That was something I swore I would NEVER say to anyone, having heard it too much myself. But there I was, being my mother.

Somehow, for me, the hippie generation was merely an offshoot of the Beat Generation, not that I'm old enough to have experienced it, but that it always fascinated me. I also have one black and white head shot photo of my dad that I treasure for many reasons, but one of them is because in it, he looks like Jack Kerouac, black tee-shirt and wafting smoke and all.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Miliana said...

Great comments, both of you! I didn't think I'd hit such a nerve with this reminiscence.

I'm almost sorry to hear that hippies DO still exist - I rather had hoped they would go gently, yet psychedelically, into that good night.

And yes, Kaz, I do think the Beats were marginally more interesting, as the Angry Young Man persona gives one more literary "fodder" as it were.

Thanks again guys!

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home